Senior contract engineer
We are looking for 12 months mission based in Paris a Senior contract engineer:
• Promote the Contracts & Procurement function as a managed process which requires timely input from technical departments
• Act as highly visible communications focal point for Contracts within the Project, operating as a ‘Duet’ with technical counterpart(s), to proactively facilitate effective relationships, contract planning & management
• Actively follow relevant markets, gathering & using information received, & developing & maintaining market information systems to provide up-to-date details of both market conditions and contractors/suppliers
• Proactively build and maintain relationships with suppliers in order to secure positive, constructive and cost effective commercial agreements for the Company
• Establish contracting strategy with ‘Duet’ counterpart to serve & protect Company’s best commercial interest
• Review and consider legal aspects associated with contract award & administration, liaising with the Legal Department, providing advice to clients as appropriate & assisting as appropriate in settlement of law suits
• Propose, pre-qualify & recommend suitable contractors/suppliers for bid lists to maximize tendering efficiency
• Compile issue and administer ‘Invitation to Tender’ packages to procure the most realistic and commercially attractive proposals from potential contractors/suppliers.
• Draft appropriate contractual and commercial terms & conditions to best serve & protect Company’s interests
• Review bids, participate in contractual & commercial clarifications & negotiations, prepare all the associated documents such as presentations, minutes of meetings, contractual & commercial qualifications log, draft Recommendation to Award, finalize the Contract, administer the award of contracts, change/variation orders, contract amendments, claims and all associated correspondence.
• Ensure all contracting activities meet audit requirements in compliance with Company policies and procedures and Brazilian legislation in order to minimize any potential partner/audit claims or court actions
• Monitor contractors’ performance, promoting & attending service quality meetings, recording results and participating in supplier relationship management & supplier performance management activities.
• Prepare various contractual certificates (i.e. Milestone Certificates, Provisional Acceptance Certificate, Final Acceptance Certificate), which are required to be issued by Company to Contractor in accordance to the contract.
• Review Change Order Requests, draft Change Order Instructions, negotiate and administer change orders initiated by Company or Contractor and contract amendments.
• Provide general assistance & advice on contractual & procurement matters as required to support Company’s operations (including particularly advising on interpretation of contractual provisions, claims & correspondence)
• Review standard contract documentation & procedures and identify, promote, negotiate, detail & implement improvements, liaising with other interested parties as appropriate.
• Represent the Project’s contracts function in weekly meetings with suppliers/contractors providing general assistance and advice on contractual and procurement matters as required to support the project’s activities.
• Facilitate/chair any meetings required to conduct the activities of the job
• Provide input to cost with potential changes and actual changes throughout the project, including verification of project invoices.
• Typically degree qualified in Quantity Surveying, Engineering or relevant business area, ideally with a post graduate qualification in a complementary area –
• Ideally a professional qualification (or working towards) in Procurement, Surveying or other relevant profession.
• Knowledge & understanding of procurement processes including: ethical principles; bidder prequalification; invitation to tender; comparative evaluation of contractors; & award, claims management, administration, amendment & close out of contracts
• At least 6 years practical experience in preparation, negociation and administration of complex projects contracts
• Typically 10 years (or more) experience in the offshore oil or petrochemical industries –
• Demonstrable general knowledge & understanding of the technologies used by oil and gas operators and packages like SURF, Topsides and FPSO´s in general.
• Demonstrable knowledge of drafting & administration of EPC, EPIC, & EPSCC type contracts.
• In depth knowledge & understanding of different means of contractor remuneration & their commercial implications, practical experience of their use, & sound ability to select & draft appropriate provisions.
• Ability & willingness to facilitate/chair any meetings required to conduct the activities of the job
• Ability to work in a Project environment and go above and beyond to deliver the project deadlines.
• Languages: Proficient in English. Portuguese could be an asset
Activity area: Oil & Gas